We had our 2nd session of the “Thriving as a Manager at Berkeley” program focused on the concept of Growth Mindsets. We were led by Laura Kray, a faculty member at the Haas School of Business who teaches on this topic, and Jo Mackness, our Interim AVC Human Resources.
Laura helped us understand the concept and the latest research and thinking on growth mindsets, and Jo and Laura helped us look at it from an individual and organizational context. Participants got results from an assessment they took and held discussions at their tables.
What can you do now? Here are 3 ideas:
Engage with your fellow managers on this topic on the Manager Musings discussion board on the Wisdom Café. Answer the question “What can I do as a manager to foster a growth mindset on my team?”, or ask another question.
Check out these resources to learn more about growth mindsets: Harnessing The Power of Growth Mindsets – Kray UC Berkeley 6_7_17
- Book: Mindset: The New Psychology of Success, Carol S. Dweck
- Ted Talk: “The Power of Yet”, Carol Dweck https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-swZaKN2Ic
- Lynda.com video: “Exploring the Growth Mindset” (6 minutes) https://www.lynda.com/Higher-Education-tutorials/Welcome-Exploring-growth-mindset/188434/363839-4.html
- Book: Wired to Grow http://www.brittandreatta.com/wired-to-grow/
- “Adopt a Growth Mindset: Working Effectively With Faculty” Growth Mindset
- “Is Yours a Learning Organization?’ Learning Organization
- “Speeding Up Team Learning” Speeding Up Team Learning
- “Deconstructing the Development Mindset” https://www.juliewinklegiulioni.com/blog/leadership-matters/deconstructing-development-mindset/
Coach your team using growth mindset questions and statements such as:
- “What are you curious to learn about?
- “You can get better at_____. You just haven’t learned it yet.
- “What lessons have you learned from failures or setbacks?
- “I really appreciate the effort you put it that.”
Come back to this page later to get access to the session video.