The goal of the Wisdom Café is to engage our UC Berkeley staff community to learn and share with each other. We honor the collective experience, insights, and wisdom of our community, and encourage active participation. The intent of the site is to provide a place where we can grow our knowledge, skills and understanding about how to perform at the top of our game in serving the goals and priorities of the university.
These Community Guidelines will help explain what it means to participate in the Wisdom Café community. To make the community a safe place for people to share their experiences and opinions, all Wisdom Café posts and comments are subject to these guidelines. It is up to each of us to create and participate in open conversations that can help us learn from and with each other.
- Be sincere in your contributions. Post with purpose – to inspire, enable or share with fellow staff.
- Respect that other people have different points of view.
- Give feedback, to your fellow staff, and us, in a helpful and constructive manner. Respectful feedback builds a community; your participation will make your time at the Wisdom Café richer. Please comment and post with the courtesy we would all like to experience.
- Lead by example.
- Keep it relevant.
- Focus on the intelligent discussion of topics and ideas.
- Respect the copyright of others. Keep it legal.
- Have the courage to be you. People will respect you more and engage with you more often if you express yourself truthfully.
- Connect with people around your mutual interests. Talk about what you care about — your passions — in a way that reflects who you are. Be social and share what’s important to you.
- Spread the wealth. Make the community a richer place by sharing your experience and insight. You may have the perfect answer to someone else’s burning question. This is the substance of the Wisdom Café. It’s how you give back to the community.
- Remember that this is your community! Each and every user of the Wisdom Café makes the site what it is, so don’t be afraid to dig in and get involved!
- Be into transparency, honesty, and truth.
- Be polite. The point of the list is for all of us to help each other.
- Have fun!
- Post content of a discriminatory or derogatory nature.
- Engage in personal attacks on any member of the campus community.
- Post personal details or private information about any other person.
- Post content that is racist, sexist, homophobic, sexually explicit, abusive or otherwise objectionable.
- Advertise for personal profit or gain.
- Be a know-it-all. Show off your insights, not your attitude.
- Upload content that you do not own.
- Harass, abuse, impersonate, or intimidate others.
- Post content that would be considered to be off-topic.
The moderators are responsible for deciding whether posts meet the guidelines and policies of the Wisdom Café. We may return or edit messages that we decide are not in keeping with the policies, or that we feel are otherwise inappropriate for the list. We will, when necessary, remove posts or comments that breach these guidelines. Members who do not abide by the rules will be removed at the moderators’ discretion.
If you would like to share a Wisdom Café on your own site, please be sure to credit the original author of the post and link back to the Wisdom Café.
Pictures of campus events posted here may include images of individuals. Please contact us if you’d prefer us to remove an image in which you appear.
Thank you for helping us make the Wisdom Café a wonderful and valuable learning community!